Arabic Studies Program Overview

ARAB 306 (Quranic Arabic II) Information Session
Wednesday, January 10 · 10:30 – 11:30am
Time zone: America/New_York
Video call link: https://meet.google.com/cqw-cytx-pii

ARAB 101 – Elementary Arabic I

Textbook: Alif Baa (3rd Edition) Units 1-10

Overview: Elementary Arabic I (ARAB 101) introduces students to Modern Standard Arabic (MSA or fuṣḥā) in its written and spoken forms to achieve communicative competence at the elementary level in listening, speaking, reading, and writing. In addition to MSA, the course introduces students to Egyptian Colloquial Arabic. Alongside their language learning, students study cultural aspects of the Arab world through “authentic” written and audio-visual sources.

ARAB 102 – Elementary Arabic II

Textbook: Al Kitaab Part One (3rd Edition) Chapters 1-7

Overview: Elementary Arabic II (ARAB 102) builds on the skills and competencies gained in Elementary Arabic I (ARAB 101) such that students achieve the Novice Mid level in Modern Standard Arabic in all language skills. This course also develops students conversational skills in Egyptian Colloquial Arabic. Alongside their language learning, students study cultural aspects of the Arab world through “authentic” written and audio-visual sources.

ARAB 203 – Intermediate Arabic I

Textbook: Al Kitaab Part One (3rd Edition) Chapters 8-13

Intermediate Arabic I (ARAB 203) builds on the skills and competencies gained in Elementary Arabic II (ARAB 102) such that students achieve the Intermediate Low level in Modern Standard Arabic in all language skills. This course focuses chiefly on the grammar and vocabulary of Modern Standard Arabic; however, students continue to develop their abilities in a spoken dialect to aid real-world oral communication. Alongside their language learning, students study cultural aspects of the Arab world through “authentic” written and audio-visual sources.

ARAB 204 – Intermediate Arabic II

Textbook: Al Kitaab Part Two (3rd Edition) Chapters 1-7

Intermediate Arabic II (ARAB 204) continues to build on the skills and competencies gained in Intermediate Arabic I (ARAB 203) such that students achieve the Intermediate Mid-High level in Modern Standard Arabic in all language skills. This course focuses chiefly on the grammar and vocabulary of Modern Standard Arabic; however, students continue to develop their abilities in a spoken dialect to aid real-world oral communication. Alongside their language learning, students study cultural aspects of the Arab world through “authentic” written and audio-visual sources.

ARAB 305 – Quranic Arabic I

Overview: This course introduced students to Quranic Arabic and teaches tools to study and read the Quran, including its specific grammatical structures and vocabulary.

ARAB 306 – Quranic Arabic II

Overview: This course is a continuation of Arabic 305. In this course, students continue to study and learn to read Quranic Arabic in order to obtain a deep language understanding.